Desert island. Ten of some thing. You get the picture.
1. Rivest, et al., Algorithms
2. Alberts, Bray, et al. Molecular Biology of The Cell
3. Jim Gray, Transaction Processing
4. Melville, Moby Dick
5. Abelson and Sussman, Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
6. Knuth Vol. 4
7. Gene Wolfe, Shadow and Claw and Sword and Citadel (yes, it’s cheating)
8. Either a bible, a copy of the Koran, or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
9. A copy of the complete works of Walt Kelly (you thought I was going to say “Shakespear,” didn’t you?). Pogo lives!
10. Something really trashy and long (or maybe just Gravity’s Rainbow)
Same place, working DVD player (on an island? Don’t get picky).
1. Alien (director’s cut). I just don’t get tired of this one.
2. Das Boot (director’s cut, subtitled). Ditto.
3. Full Metal Jacket
1. Rickie Lee Jones, The Magazine
2. Second disc (of three) of Lol Creme and Kevin Godley’s concept album Consequences (only issued on vinyl, pretty obscure)
3. XTC, Nonsuch
Ten books I wish I’d never read
1. Battlefield Earth
2. Battlefield Earth
3. Battlefield Earth
4. Battlefield Earth
5. Battlefield Earth
6. Battlefield Earth
7. Battlefield Earth (<== new entries go up from here ^^^)
8. E.E. ‘Doc’ Smith’s Subspace Explorers
9. Some book I read when I was ten that featured killer space-bees on the moon. I completely forget. How awful. (No, I don’t know how they flew in a vacuum).
10. Books 3+ of The Treadmill of Time
Ten movies I wish I’d never seen
1. The unmentionable movie we saw in D.C. after seeing Serial (my friends know)
2. Stand by Me
3. Nightflyers (the short story was good, the film adaptation sucked)
4. Millenium (John Varley’s pretty good short story ==> okay novella ==> movie starring Cheryl Ladd. OMFG bad).
10. Battlefield Earth (to be fair, I whipped through this on fast-forward)
Ten albums I wish I’d never listened to
1. Anything by the group Starfuckers
2. Enya, The Memory of Trees