More stuff I learned the hard way:
- You can fit 240K of code in 192K of ROM if you swear at it long enough.
- Programmer productivity isn’t the problem. Programmer motivation is the problem. The right impetus will have someone writing a compiler “over the weekend.” Get it wrong, and they won’t be able to code a for loop without five bugs.
- 90% of C++ programming is memory management. The other 10% is memory management.
- A stupid policy with a fast algorithm is still a stupid policy.
- A fast disk is worth a couple hundred megahertz of CPU.
- When they defer your salary, even for a week, it’s time to go.
- Most of the code you find in books is wrong. [Don’t get me started on Petzold]. [Or Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs … for different reasons than Petzold].